In recent years, infrared grills have become quite popular thanks to their innovative method of producing heat. Unlike traditional gas grills, which heat food through convection (hot air), infrared grills cook food through radiant heat.
In this review, you’ll find the best infrared grill at different price levels, along with helpful information to help you decide which infrared grill to purchase.
Comparison Table of the Best Infrared Gas Grills
Below is a list of the best infrared gas grills available. Click on the name to read reviews and check prices.
What is an infrared grill?
Unlike a traditional gas grill which uses the hot air generated from the gas burners to heat your food directly, an infrared grill heats some kind of solid surface like ceramic plates to radiate heat to your food. This creates a separation between the heating elements and the food, which keeps food from flaring up or smoking and producing juicier food.
The heating source also heats the air within the grill creating a convection effect with hot air circulating throughout the grill. This circulation effect delivers even high heat throughout the grilling area.
Infrared outdoor gas grills tend to cost more than traditional propane grills, but for many serious barbecue fans, they’re worth every penny.
How does an infrared grill work?
Plates (made of glass, ceramic, or metal) are placed directly above the burners, which absorb the flames’ heat and transfer it to the food on the grates above it. This technology provides a cooking surface that heats up to incredible temperatures fast, with perfectly balanced heat distribution.
Best Infrared Gas Grill Reviews
Now that you know what to look for, here are the best infrared gas grill options currently on the market.
The Char-Broil Performance Series TRU-Infrared 3-Burner Stainless Steel Gas Grill is a great infrared grill option from Char-Broil.
It provides 450 square inches of primary cooking space, along with a 150 square inch swing-away warming rack. This is enough cooking area for about 24 burgers.
Three stainless steel top-ported burners supply 24,000 BTUs of heat, and a 10,000 BTU side burner adds extra convenience for cooking sauces and sides.
Besides all the premium features this model provides, my favorite thing about this grill is its timeless styling, thanks to the stainless steel design. It not only provides added durability, but the classic lines are also reminiscent of an AirStream trailer, which I love.
- Exclusive stainless steel finish for increased style and durability
- TRU-Infrared cooking technology prevents flare-ups, delivers even-heat and cooks juicier food
- 450-square-inches of primary cooking space is great for most cookouts
If you have a huge family or frequently host parties, the Royal Gourmet MG6001-R-C 6 is the model for you. This thing is MASSIVE.
It has six burners and about 700 square inches of grilling space, providing you with more room than you may ever need.
It also comes with a split lid design, allowing you to cook for a smaller group or cook multiple dishes separately without having to heat the entire grill.
- 700 sq. in. of primary cooking area, plus warming rack provides a secondary cooking area with 260 sq inches
- Porcelain cast iron cooking grates with slope design and better for keep meat’s natural flavor
- Two heavy duty stainless steel lids with cast aluminum end caps, built-in thermometers and stainless steel handle. Two...
The smallest infrared gas grill on the list, the Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 is a true road warrior.
It has 200 square inches of primary cooking space, which isn’t a whole lot, but more than enough for a few steaks and some sides. Perfect for two people.
What I like about this grill is its ruggedness. This bad boy is built like a little tank, and you can feel the solidness of its construction. Plan to keep this grill for a very long time.
- Road worthy and built to travel easy
- Cast aluminum firebox and lid with dual stainless steel latches and temp gauge
- High-impact frame with legs and carry handles
The Char-Broil Performance TRU-Infrared 4-Burner Cabinet Style Gas Grill is a larger version of our #1 choice, the Char-Broil Performance Series TRU-Infrared 3-Burner Stainless Steel Gas Grill.
It provides a whopping 500 square inches of primary cooking area, has four primary burners that provide 27,000 BTUs of heat, and a 10,000 BTU side burner for convenient side preparation.
TRU-Infrared technology helps prevent flare-ups and allows you to cook juicier, more flavorful food.
The porcelain-coated grates are rust-resistant and easy to clean, helping this model last for a very long time.
I recommend this excellent model from Char-Broil for anyone really serious about cooking food and wants the best quality grill available at a reasonable price.
- TRU-Infrared cooking technology prevents flare-ups, delivers even-heat and cooks juicier food
- 500-square-inches of primary cooking space is great for large gatherings
- Porcelain-coated grates are durable, rust-resistant and easy-to-clean
The Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 525 is an excellent choice for a family. It has 525 square inches of primary cooking space, providing you ample space for larger meals.
It has all the top features of a Char-Broil TRU Infrared grill, including porcelain-coated cast-iron grates, an electronic ignition system, a 200 square inch warming rack, stainless steel shelves, and a lidded side burner.
What I like most about this model is the extra space that comes with the enclosed storage cabinet. If you’re like me, you appreciate having everything you need to barbecue all together in one spot, and the storage space this unit has helps you achieve that.
The one issue I’ve heard other people say about this unit is that it has a problem with rust forming on the grill grates. I recommend you also purchase a grill cover to protect this unit from the elements and help stop it from rusting.
- 525 square inches of primary cooking over porcelain-coated cast iron grates
- 200 square inch porcelain-coated warming rack
- Four top-ported 443 stainless steel tube burners for lasting performance and better temperature control
Another fantastic infrared grill option from Char-Broil is the Char-Broil Performance TRU Infrared 300 2-Burner Cabinet Liquid Propane Gas Grill. It’s a mid-sized grill with a spacious 450 square inch cooking surface and a 150 square inch warming rack.
It comes with all the Char-Broil TRU Infrared cooking technology benefits, the gold standard in infrared cooking technology.
It has a 10,000-BTU side burner that provides a fold-down cover for extra counter space when the side burner is not used.
The Char-Broil Performance TRU Infrared 300 has porcelain-coated grates, which help prevent rust and makes the grates easier to clean.
What I like best about this model is the price, around $300, making it the best price Char-Broil infrared grill available. This is cheap in the infrared grill category, especially for a high-quality Char-Broil TRU-Infrared 2-burner gas grill.
- 300 square inches of primary cooking over porcelain-coated grates
- 120 square inch porcelain-coated swing-a-way rack for warming
- Two top-ported tube burners for lasting performance and better temperature control
The Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 420 is a fantastic 3-burner gas grill that features Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared cooking system.
It has a stainless steel lid, doors, side shelves, and a control panel for solid durability and timeless styling.
Three top-ported stainless steel burners provide adjustable heat across a 420 square inch cooking surface. It includes one 13,000 BTU side burner and cast-iron grates with a 443 stainless steel emitter for lasting performance.
Stainless steel cabinet doors easily hide the propane tank and offer additional storage.
It is even dual-fuel compatible, which means it can easily convert from propane to natural gas.
The whole unit is easily maneuverable thanks to four caster wheels, two of which lock to keep the grill in place when the grill is in use.
The Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 420 3-Burner Grill is a fantastic overall choice if you’re looking for a mid-sized infrared grill with premium features.
- 420 square inches of primary cooking over porcelain-coated cast iron grates
- 155 square inch porcelain-coated warming rack, 13,000 BTU side burner
- Three top-ported 443 stainless steel tube burners for lasting performance and better temperature control
If you like to travel AND barbecue, a Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere Portable Infrared Grill is the right model for you.
Weighing a mere 15 pounds, this small infrared grill is an excellent barbecue to take camping, tailgating, boating, picnicking, or wherever you want to grill remotely.
Its small size allows it to be stowed away easily when not in use in an RV or boat.
This model runs on 1-pound propane bottles, but adapters can be purchased to enable it to operate on large propane tanks. You can use natural gas (from your home) or even on a low-pressure propane system (like in an RV).
My favorite thing about the Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere Portable Infrared Grill is its ability to get very hot, very fast. This thing heats up to very high temperatures within minutes and does an excellent job searing your steaks without losing juices.
Of course, being a small infrared grill, you don’t have a whole lot of cooking space (140 square inches), but for a group of four or less, it’s perfect.
- Real infrared ceramic and stainless steel burner with electronic push-button ignition
- 140 square inches of grilling area that fits six 4-inch burgers on special v-grate that improves flavor and virtually...
- Use made by 100-plus year old family business
The Napoleon Prestige 500 is a massive beast of a grill. It has four stainless steel burners that put out a whopping 48,000 BTUs of heat across 500 square inches of cooking area.
It also has a 260 square inch swing-away rack used for warming food. It even has a 140 square inch infrared side zone sizzle burner that can get up to 1800° Fahrenheit and is ideal for searing steaks.
All in, this giant unit provides over 900 square inches of cooking/warming/searing space!
It’s built with stainless steel for a durable yet classic look. It includes a built-in thermometer, a quick ignition button, and plenty of cabinet space.
While the Napoleon Prestige 500 is on the more expensive side, you definitely get what you pay for with this model. It will last you a lifetime and be one of the best grills you’ll ever own.
- 80, 000 BTU's, 4 Stainless Steel main burners, 900 in² total cooking area
- Dimensions: 66.50" W x 25.50" D x 51.75" H (Lid Closed) | Cooking Area: 17.75 x 28 in
- Led Spectrum night light control knobs and safety feature
If portability is a major requirement for you, then the Magma Products Newport 2 Infrared Gourmet Series Stainless Steel Grill is the model for you. This is a small infrared grill, seemingly purpose-built for camping or boating use, that fits easily into a cabinet or shelf and has many features usually found in larger grills.
It’s powered by a single 12,500 BTU burner capable of heating up to 500° Fahrenheit. It has sear plates below the cooking grates that ensure even heat distribution and consistent cooking temperatures.
The Newport 2 is designed to be wind-proof, so it’ll stay lit even under the windiest conditions, like on a boat. It also gets hot very quickly, so you don’t have to wait too long to start cooking.
- New tempered glass viewing window New beautiful rounded edge design Redesigned dynamic combustion system
- Made in the U.S.A. Constructed of 100% 18-9 marine grade mirror polished stainless steel Full double lined lower shell...
- Equipped with integrated fold-away legs Locking front access grease tray 9"x18" (162 Sq. In.) grilling area
If you want to bring the taste of a perfectly seared steakhouse steak with you on the go, the Camplux Propane Infrared Steak Grill is the model for you. This 10,000 BTU propane grill is capable of heating to 1600° Fahrenheit within 2 minutes and can cook practically anything in a matter of minutes.
It weighs only 26 ½ pounds and is very compact, making it easy to transport or store easily in a cabinet or storage shelf.
It’s built with 304-grade stainless steel for long-lasting durability and looks fantastic.
It hooks up to a 20 pound propane tank or standard RV propane connection but can also be adapted to use a 1 pound propane cylinder for easier portability.
The Camplux is a fantastic infrared grill for cooking perfectly seared steaks anywhere, and I highly recommend it for the person who’s serious about their steaks.
- Extreme 1600℉ Flash Heating - This innovative 10,000 BTU propane gas grill can raise the temperature to 1600℉ within 2...
- Light, Portable,Compact Design - The stainless steak grill weights 26.5 lbs, making it lightweight and small enough to fit in...
- Patented Adjustable Grill & Easy to Clean - The outdoor gas grill comes without grill racks but with patented adjustable...
The GASPRO is another oven-type infrared propane grill that does a fantastic job of searing steaks wherever you need to go.
It heats up to an amazing 1500° Fahrenheit and can perfectly sear steaks or other meats within 2 minutes per side.
It’s built with high-quality 304-grade stainless steel for long-lasting durability and a clean design.
- Boasts the infrared cooking system reaches an incredible 1500°F, serves up steakhouse-quality steaks about 2 min per side.
- 6-notches in the grill rack determined the grate's proximity to the infrared heat source, offer different heat zones for...
- Gives you multiple connection options, built-in a standard 3/8” male flare fitting in the valve and regulator. It allows...
The Napoleon 665 gas grill with infrared side and rear burners is the total grilling package with the stunning stainless hood. This full-sized model barbecue has the capabilities of a full outdoor kitchen.
One of the coolest features of this grill is its gas safety feature. Sometimes if you leave the gas on, you may not know about it or forget. But this model has a neat feature that lights up the grill’s knobs to red when the gas is on. This ensures that you don’t leave the gas on by accident. Once you turn it on, the knobs turn red.
The roll-top hood provides other light performance for your grill. Maximum heat is retained in the streamlined double-walled lid, while the unique design allows the lid to tuck neatly back, saving space on your patio.
You can barbecue like a pro with the infrared heat rotisserie burner, perfect for high heat searing and slow roasting. With the zero to 1800 degrees exclusive infrared scissor zone technology, you’ll be ready to grill in 30 seconds.
For you guys who like to use wood chips, this grill has an integrated wood chip smoker tray and integrated ice marinade bucket. The instant jet fire ignition is an easy-to-use system that shoots a jet of flame to light each gas burner individually for quick startups.
Every feature in every material is engineered for the most ultimate performance so you can create unforgettable meals and precious moments. The Napoleon Prestige 665 offers a spacious cooking area that accommodates large quantities of items so that this grill can fit up to 41 burgers at a time.
- 92, 000 BTUs with 5 Stainless Steel main burners
- Stainless Steel iconic wave cooking grids and 1140 in² total cooking area
- Included rotisserie
When it comes to durability, the Broilmaster R3 Infrared Propane Gas Grill is the King of the Beasts. Made of heavy-duty cast aluminum, this is a premium infrared grill.
The R3 comes with lots of space for cooking with nearly 700 square inches of grilling surface. It has two burners that produce 40,000 BTUs of heat, capable of generating up to 1600 degrees Fahrenheit of heat!
With a stainless steel frame and locking castor wheels, this is a great infrared grill for serious barbecue fans.
- Heavy-duty cast aluminum construction to last a lifetime
- Dual infrared burners provide a broader temperature range
- V-Channel cooking grid captures drippings, converting them to smoke, adding flavor to your food
We’ve saved the best for last. The Blaze Professional 3-Burner Propane Gas Grill is one of the finest grills available on the market.
It has three 18,000 BTU burners that provide an amazing 54,000 BTUs of heat across 615 square inches of cooking area.
It has a 10,000 BTU infrared rear burner and a waterproof rotisserie kit.
Stainless-steel heat zone separators provide different cooking zones across the grilling surface and help conserve heat and fuel.
- Blaze Grills offers a best-in-class Lifetime warranty
- 12mm Hexagon-shaped stainless steel Searing Rods are extra thick for steakhouse-level searing
- Heat Zone Dividers allow you to cook multiple types of food at the same time using different temperatures like an expert chef
What is the best infrared grill for you?
The best infrared outdoor grill for you will be the one you use the most. What’s most important to consider is how you expect to use it most of the time.
If you plan to do many backyard barbecues, a sturdy four-burner model like the Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 525 is an excellent choice.
If you plan to do a lot of cooking in remote locations like picnics, camping, or tailgating, then a small portable model like the Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere Portable Infrared Grill is the right model for you.
11 Best Built-In Gas Grills for 2021
A built-in gas grill is the crown jewel of any outdoor kitchen. Check out our reviews of the best built-in gas grills on the market in 2021.
Things to Make Your BBQ More Enjoyable
If you want to be the king of your neighborhood, host a barbecue. People will flock to your backyard and enjoy every second of it if you host it right.
5 Best Offset Smokers Under $1000 for 2021
An offset smoker can take your smoking game to the next level. We have compiled a list of the best offset smokers under $1000 for 2021.
10 Best Natural Gas Grills for 2021
A natural gas grill is a great option for an outdoor barbecue. Find the best natural gas grills available in 2021 in this guide.
The Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer
They call it an oil-less fryer, but the Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer is basically an infrared grill designed for turkeys and large roasts.
11 Best 3-Burner Gas Grills for 2021
A 3-burner gas grill is the ideal size for portability, price, and features. Learn about the best 3-burner grills available in this review.