Infrared grills have become quite popular in recent years thanks to their innovative method of producing heat. Unlike traditional gas grills which heat food through convection (hot air), infrared grills cook food through radiant heat.
In this review you’ll find the best infrared grill at different price levels, along with helpful information to help you decide which infrared grill to purchase.
The Top 10 Best Infrared Grills
Here is our list of the best infrared barbecue grills available in 2020. We start with the best overall choices, then go into the best options for different needs.
1. Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 525 4-Burner Cabinet Liquid Propane Gas Grill – Best Overall Choice
The Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 525 is an excellent choice for a family. It has 525 square inches of primary cooking space, providing you ample space for larger meals.
It has all the top features of a Char Broil TRU Infrared grill, including porcelain-coated cast iron grates, an electronic ignition system, 200 square inch warming rack, stainless steel shelves and a lidded side burner.
What I like most about this model is the extra space that comes with the enclosed storage cabinet. If you’re like me, you appreciate having everything you need to barbecue all together in one spot, and the storage space this unit has helps you achieve that.
The one issue I’ve heard other people say about this unit is that it has a problem with rust forming on the grill grates. I recommend you also purchase a grill cover to protect this unit from the elements and help stop it from rusting.
- 525 square inches of primary cooking over porcelain-coated cast iron grates
- 200 square inch porcelain-coated warming rack
- Four top-ported 443 stainless steel tube burners for lasting performance and better temperature control
2. Char-Broil Performance TRU Infrared 300 2-Burner Cabinet Liquid Propane Gas Grill – Best Overall Choice #2
Number 2 our overall list is the Char-Broil Performance TRU Infrared 300 2-Burner Cabinet Liquid Propane Gas Grill. It’s a mid-sized grill with a spacious 450 square inch cooking surface and 150 square inch warming rack.
It comes with all the benefits of the Char Broil TRU Infrared cooking technology, the gold standard in infrared cooking technology.
It has a 10,000-BTU side burner which provides a fold-down cover for extra counter space when the side burner is not being used.
The Char-Broil Performance TRU Infrared 300 has porcelain-coated grates which help prevent rust and makes the grates easier to clean.
What I like best about this model is the price, around $300, making it the best price Char Broil infrared grill available. In the infrared grill category, this is cheap, especially for a high quality Char-Broil TRU-Infrared 2-burner gas grill.
- 300 square inches of primary cooking over porcelain-coated grates
- 120 square inch porcelain-coated swing-a-way rack for warming
- Two top-ported tube burners for lasting performance and better temperature control
If you like to travel AND barbecue, a Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere Portable Infrared Grill is the right model for you.
Weighing a mere 15 pounds, this small infrared grill is an excellent barbecue to take camping, tailgating, boating, picnicking, or wherever you want to grill remotely.
Its small size allows it to be stowed away in an RV or boat easily when not in use.
This model runs on 1 pound propane bottles, but adapters can be purchased to enable it to operate on large propane tanks, natural gas (from your home), or even on a low-pressure propane system (like in an RV).
My favorite thing about the Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere Portable Infrared Grill is its ability to get very hot, very fast. This thing heats up to very high temperatures within minutes, and does an excellent job searing your steaks without losing juices.
Of course, being a small infrared grill, you don’t have a whole lot of cooking space (140 square inches), but for a group of four or less it’s perfect.
- Real infrared ceramic and stainless steel burner with electronic push-button ignition
- 140 square inches of grilling area that fits six 4-inch burgers on special v-grate that improves flavor and virtually...
- Use made by 100-plus year old family business
4. Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 420 3-Burner Cabinet Liquid Propane Gas Grill – Best Mid Sized Infrared Grill
The Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 420 is a fantastic 3-burner gas grill that features Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared cooking system.
It has a stainless steel lid, doors, side shelves and a control panel for solid durability and timeless styling.
Three top-ported stainless steel burners provide adjustable heat across a 420 square inch cooking surface. It includes one 13,000 BTU side burner and cast iron grates with a 443 stainless steel emitter for lasting performance.
Stainless steel cabinet doors easily hide the propane tank as well as offers additional storage.
It is even dual-fuel compatible, which means it can easily convert from propane to natural gas.
The whole unit is easily maneuverable thanks to four caster wheels, two of which lock to keep the grill in place when the grill is in use.
The Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 420 3-Burner Grill is a fantastic overall choice if you’re looking for a mid-sized infrared grill with premium features.
- 420 square inches of primary cooking over porcelain-coated cast iron grates
- 155 square inch porcelain-coated warming rack, 13,000 BTU side burner
- Three top-ported 443 stainless steel tube burners for lasting performance and better temperature control
5. Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 Portable TRU-Infrared Liquid Propane Gas Grill – Best Small Infrared Grill
The smallest infrared grill on the list, the Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 is a true road warrior.
Weighing in at only 20 pounds with a sturdy high-impact frame, its small size makes it perfect for picnics, tailgating, camping, boating, or other outdoor cookout.
It has 200 square inches of primary cooking space, which isn’t a whole lot, but more than enough for a few steaks and some sides. Perfect for two people.
What I like about this grill is its ruggedness. This bad boy is built like a little tank, and you can feel the solidness of its construction. Plan to keep this grill for a very long time.
- Road worthy and built to travel easy
- Cast aluminum firebox and lid with dual stainless steel latches and temp gauge
- High-impact frame with legs and carry handles
6. Char-Broil 463370719 Performance TRU-Infrared 3-Burner Cart Style Gas Grill – Best Char-Broil Infrared Grill
The Char-Broil Performance Series TRU-Infrared 3-Burner Stainless Steel Gas Grill is another great infrared grill option from Char-Broil.
It provides 450 square inches of primary cooking space, along with a 150 square inch swing-away warming rack. This is enough cooking area for about 24 burgers.
Three stainless steel top-ported burners supply 24,000 BTUs of heat, and a 10,000 BTU side burner adds extra convenience for cooking sauces and sides.
Besides all the premium features this model provides, my favorite thing about this grill is its timeless styling thanks to the stainless steel design. It not only provides added durability, the classic lines are reminiscent of an Air Stream trailer, which I love.
- Exclusive stainless steel finish for increased style and durability
- TRU-Infrared cooking technology prevents flare-ups, delivers even-heat and cooks juicier food
- 450-square-inches of primary cooking space is great for most cookouts
The Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill is one of my favorite grills. It’s an entirely unique design that provides a smoker, roaster, and grill all in one.
Its compact size makes it perfect for smaller areas like apartment patios or small balconies.
It’s roomy enough to let you cook an entire turkey in its roasting basket, which allows up to 25 pounds of meat.
The Big Easy includes a wood chip smoker box to make smoking very simple.
All in all, this is a fantastic little unit that you’ll probably love as much as I do.
No products found.
When it comes to durability, the Broilmaster R3 Infrared Propane Gas Grill is the King of the Beasts. Made of heavy-duty cast aluminum, this is a premium infrared grill.
The R3 comes with lots of space for cooking with nearly 700 square inches of grilling surface. It has two burners that produce 40,000 BTUs of heat, capable of generating up to 1600 degrees Fahrenheit of heat!
With a stainless steel frame and locking castor wheels, this is a great infrared grill for serious barbecue fans.
- Heavy-duty cast aluminum construction to last a lifetime
- Dual infrared burners provide a broader temperature range
- V-Channel cooking grid captures drippings, converting them to smoke, adding flavor to your food
9. Char-Broil 17602047 Infrared Electric Patio Bistro – Best Infrared Grill for Apartments or Patios
If you’re into keeping things simple and hassle-free, the Char-Broil 17602047 Infrared Electric Patio Bistro is a great choice. Because it uses electric heat with no charcoal or gas, it’s easy to use and maintain.
It comes with 240 square inches of cooking space, which is plenty for a small family. It even has folding side shelves which provide plenty of work and food prep space.
The porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grates are rust-resistant and easy-to-clean, making this a great long-term investment.
- 240 Square inch grilling surface with 80 Square inch warming rack- 8 to 12 hamburger capacity
- Electric TRU-Infrared cooking system allows you to cook your food evenly with less flare-ups - juicier food, every time
- Porcelain-coated cast iron Premium cooking grates are rust-resistant and easy-to-clean
10. Royal Gourmet MG6001-R-C 6 Cabinet Propane Infrared Burner Gas Grill – Best Large Infrared Grill
If you have a VERY large family, or frequently host parties, the Royal Gourmet MG6001-R-C 6 is the model for you. This thing is MASSIVE.
It has six burners and about 700 square inches of grilling space, providing you with more room than you may ever need.
It also comes with a split lid design, allowing you to cook for a smaller group or cook multiple dishes separately without having to heat up the entire grill.
- 700 sq. in. of primary cooking area, plus warming rack provides a secondary cooking area with 260 sq inches
- Porcelain cast iron cooking grates with slope design and better for keep meat’s natural flavor
- Two heavy duty stainless steel lids with cast aluminum end caps, built-in thermometers and stainless steel handle. Two...
What is an infrared gas grill?
Unlike a traditional gas grill which uses the hot air generated from the gas burners to heat your food directly, an infrared grill heats up some kind of solid surface like ceramic plates to radiate heat to your food. This creates a separation between the heating elements and the food which keeps food from flaring up or smoking and helps produce juicier food.
The heating source also heats up the air within the grill creating a convection effect with hot air circulating throughout the grill. This circulation effect delivers even high heat throughout the grilling area.
Infrared outdoor grills tend to cost more than traditional propane grills, but for many serious barbecue fans, they’re worth every penny.
How does an infrared grill work?
Plates (made of glass, ceramic, or metal) are placed directly above the burners, which absorb the heat from the flames and transfer it to the food on the grates above it. This technology provides a cooking surface that heats up to incredible temperatures fast, with perfectly balanced heat distribution.
The best infrared outdoor grill for you will be the one you use the most. What’s most important to consider is how you expect to use it the majority of the time.
If you plan to do a lot of backyard barbecues, a sturdy four burner model like the Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 525 is an excellent choice.
If you plan to do a lot of cooking in remote locations like picnics, camping, or tailgating, then a small portable model like the Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere Portable Infrared Grill is the right model for you.
Things to Make Your BBQ More Enjoyable
If you want to be the king of your neighborhood, host a barbecue. People will flock to your backyard and enjoy every second of it if you host it right.
Z GRILLS ZPG 10002E 8-in1 Wood Pellet Grill Review
The Z GRILLS ZPG 10002E Wood Pellet Grill is an excellent value for the dollar. Find out all the great features of this grill in our review.
10 Best Smoker Grill Combo Reviews for 2020
A smoker grill combo can take your outdoor grilling to the next level. We have compiled a list of the best smoker grill combos for 2020.
How to Tell When a Steak is Done
Every backyard barbecue fan loves to grill steak, its probably the most frequently grilled item. Learn how to tell when a steak is done with this guide.
The Griller’s Guide to Charcoal Briquettes
When it comes to flavorful grilling methods, nothing beats using charcoal briquettes. Learn everything there is to know about this humble cooking fuel.
Light charcoal faster with the Weber Chimney starter
The Weber Chimney Starter is a great way to quickly start your charcoal without stinky lighter fluid, toxic chemicals, or costly starter sticks.