This Grilled Asparagus and Prosciutto with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette is one of my favorite side dishes for the grill. It’s tangy, savory, and pairs excellently with steak or seafood.
This Grilled Asparagus with Prosciutto recipe is my go-to dish for over half of my grilled steak recipes.
It’s one of the easiest side dish recipes I know (yet tastiest!) and can tie almost any meal together.
This BBQ side dish pairs especially well with steak, seafood, or as a light counterbalance to heavier meats, like wagyu.
The best grilled asparagus recipe for the grill gives the asparagus a sweet caramelization and a bit of smokiness thanks to the BBQ smoke.
My favorite thing about this recipe is how fast it takes – about 30 minutes total.
Be sure to wait until your meats are about halfway cooked before starting these on the grill, they taste best warm!
How to grill asparagus on the BBQ
Cooking asparagus on the grill is one of my favorite ways to make asparagus.
The direct heat gives the pieces a distinct crunchiness (like healthy french fries), and the smoke imparts a delicious smokiness.
In order to have the best grilled asparagus, you need to take some certain steps:
1. Break off the woody stems
The ends of asparagus are woody and a bit tough, so it’s best to remove them. Do this by holding each end and gently bending until it snaps at its natural point of tenderness (about 2/3 of the way down).
You can also line up the asparagus and cut off the woody stems all at once with a knife.
2. Drizzle with oil/vinaigrette before cooking
Oil or vinaigrette helps keep the asparagus from burning and helps keep the food from sticking to the grill. Add just before or just after you put the asparagus on the grill.
Asparagus is pretty sturdy, so it generally won’t soften or wilt on the grill if you add oil, so you can be generous with the oil!
3. Line the asparagus on the grill perpendicular to the grates
Cooking asparagus on the grill can be a little tricky. You have to ensure that each piece is properly lined up perpendicular to the grill grates to prevent the pieces from falling through.
This requires some care to carefully place each piece. Some will fall through, but that’s to be expected.
Aluminum foil is not necessary.
4. Cook for 6-8 minutes over medium direct heat
Let the asparagus cook for about 6-8 minutes, flipping once or twice.
Keep an eye on the spears, they’ll be ready when you start seeing some nice char marks around the top parts.
Grilled Asparagus and Prosciutto with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1 ½ pounds asparagus
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 4 slices very thin prosciutto
- Heat your grill up to medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vinaigrette ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove and throw away the tough bottom parts of the asparagus. Do this by grasping each piece by the end and bending gently until it snaps at its natural point of tenderness, about ⅔ of the way down.
- Drizzle the asparagus with about 2 tablespoons of lemon vinaigrette. Season evenly with Kosher salt.
- Clean the BBQ grill grates and add the asparagus and prosciutto over medium direct heat. Keep the lid closed as much as possible.
- Continue to cook for about 6-8 minutes until asparagus is tender. Flip the asparagus once or twice. The prosciutto will take about 2-3 minutes
- Arrange the asparagus on a tray or large plate, spoon on the remaining vinaigrette, and crumble the crispy prosciutto on top.
Mouth Watering Memphis Style Pork Ribs Recipe
The Memphis Style pork rib is one of the most popular styles of rib preparation. It has a blend of barbecue tradition and flavorful seasonings.
Pig Candy Recipe for the BBQ
How can you not want to learn more about a recipe called “Pig Candy”? No, it’s not candy for pigs, it’s candy made from pigs. Or rather bacon.
Atomic Buffalo Turds
These Atomic Buffalo Turds have an interesting name, but they are seriously delicious and easy to make.
Hershey’s Chocolate Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Here’s an interesting concoction, Hersey's Chocolate Barbecue Sauce. It's a chocolate syrup inspired barbecue sauce to try on grilled pork or chicken.
Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits with Jalapeno Jelly Glazed Ham
These Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits with Jalapeno Jelly Glazed Ham are a wonderful breakfast treat. Sweet, spicy, and savory all in one.
Grilled Persian Chicken Kabobs Recipe
These Persian Chicken Kabobs are so delicious and easy to make. Serve them today for an amazing meal your family will love!