Here’s an interesting concoction. A chocolate syrup-inspired barbecue sauce to try on grilled pork or chicken.
Hersey’s Special Dark Chocolate variety is used because it’s not as sweet as its more popular cousin milk chocolate. Starting with the familiar ketchup base, vinegar adds some twang, and hot sauce provides the kick.
You might want to substitute for one of the other bittersweet chocolate syrups on the market from any of a number of gourmet chocolate houses. While more expensive, they’ll add a more complex and richer flavor.
Season your meat with a little complimentary cocoa powder (use unsweetened) for double chocolate goodness.
Hershey's Chocolate Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s Special Dark syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- In a sauce pan saute onions and garlic in olive oil, cooking until tender.
- Stir in lemon juice, salt, pepper, paprika and hot sauce. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes and reduce heat.
- Stir in ketchup, vinegar and Hershey’s Syrup. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Related content you might like:
- 11 Best Built-In Gas Grills for 2021
- 10 Best Natural Gas Grills for 2021
- 10 Best Wireless Meat Thermometers for 2021
- 15 Best Stainless Steel Gas Grills for 2021
- 10 Best Gas Grills Under $1000 for 2021
Healthy Grilled Chicken and Veggie Quesadilla Recipe
This Grilled Chicken and Veggie Quesadilla recipe is not only healthy, but it’s delicious as well! Try it tonight, your family will love it!
The Maker’s Mark Steak Marinade Recipe
This Maker's Mark Steak Recipe comes from David Pickerell, master distiller at Maker’s Mark. It contains delicious Maker’s Mark bourbon.
Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits with Jalapeno Jelly Glazed Ham
These Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits with Jalapeno Jelly Glazed Ham are a wonderful breakfast treat. Sweet, spicy, and savory all in one.
Mouth Watering Memphis Style Pork Ribs Recipe
The Memphis Style pork rib is one of the most popular styles of rib preparation. It has a blend of barbecue tradition and flavorful seasonings.
Grilled Chicken Involtini with Prosciutto and Basil
This Grilled Chicken Involtini with Prosciutto and Basil recipe has become a new favorite in my household. It's so juicy and delicious.
Easy BBQ Meatloaf Recipe for the Grill
This BBQ Meatloaf Recipe is so easy to make, and tastes amazing! It’ll quickly become one of your family’s favorite recipes for the grill.