Flat top grills are one of our favorite types of outdoor barbecue equipment. It provides the enjoyment of cooking outdoors with the versatility of a stove top grill.
Also known as a gas griddle, hibachi, or teppanyaki, these devices have large flat cooking surfaces that are great for backyard parties, camping, and other outdoor events.
Who doesn’t enjoy making a plate of pancakes, scrambled eggs, burgers, fried rice, or fajitas in the great outdoors? And if you have a grill and griddle combo, you can even barbecue and grill at the same time!
The Top 10 Best Flat Top Grills in 2020
Here is our list of the best propane flat top grills available in 2020. We start with the best overall choices, then go into the best options for different needs.
The Blackstone 36 Flat Top Gas Grill is one of the most popular griddles available, and for good reason: this thing is a rock star.
First of all, this griddle is huge, with 720 square inches of cooking area, which is plenty for a large family or backyard party.
It has 4 independently controlled 15,000 BTU stainless steel burners that generate a total of 60,000 BTUs of heat. This griddle also has two shelves built into the sides and a bottom shelf for food preparation and storage.
It’s a commercial grade griddle, which means it’s built well and it’s built to last. If you take care of this unit, including using a grill cover, this griddle can last for a decade or more.
- Assembled Dimensions: 62.50" L x 36" H x 22" W | Weight: 120 lbs
- Propane gas fueled grill. Propane tank fasteners included.
- This unit comes equipped with a bottom shelf and a side shelf giving the user a removable cutting board, convenient paper towel holder, and strategically placed trash bag hooks PLUS Blackstone's new rear grease management system to help eliminate mess.
If you’re looking for a durable charcoal and gas grill combo Blackstone model that will last a long time, the Blackstone 1819 Griddle and Charcoal Combo is the right choice for you.
It has a powder coated black steel frame, along with stainless steel burners and a thick cold rolled steel cook top. It’s made with the high quality standards that Blackstone is known for.
This charcoal flat top griddle uses propane only on the griddle side with 12,000 BTUs of heat. The grill side uses charcoal briquettes as its heat source.
It has an adjustable height grill surface, which helps you to control the amount of heat provided by the charcoal briquettes.
This grill is perfect for the serious grilling enthusiast, and a great price for a 2-in-1 model.
- Duo Griddle: Charcoal Grill and Burner griddle. Grill Grate Dimensions 16” 15.75”. Griddle Dimensions 17” x 15.7
- REPLACE YOUR STANDARD GRILL - Replace your grill or BBQ with a Blackstone griddle and never look back! This grill is simple to use and easy to assemble, so you'll be cooking in no time. Take the headache away from outdoor cooking and spend more time enjoying the outdoors
- TRANSPORT WITH EASE - Easily wheel around your yard or transport from your backyard to the campsite thanks to the removable griddle top and two industrial strength caster wheels
Coming in at around $200, the Happybuy Double Burner Flat Top Griddle is the best price flat top grill (non-tabletop) on our list.
It has 544 square inches of griddle surface, providing plenty of room to cook a meal for six to eight people.
What I like best about this griddle is the amount of heat it produces: 150,000 BTUs! This allows you to cook just about any type of food quickly.
The portable side handles and detachable legs make it easy to pick up, transport, and store.
Overall, this is a great outdoor flat top griddle that won’t break the bank.
- 🔥🍖【HIGH QUALITY OF STAINLESS STEEL】Griddle Size: 32"x17" (81.3x43.2cm); BTU: 150,000; Gross Weight: 50.3 lbs (22.8kg). Composed of high-quality cast iron burners, steel stand and stainless steel flat top griddle grill for long-term use.Groove design to catch and dispose grease/oil ; Griddle fits perfectly over triple burner stand for the most even heat distribution.
- 🔥🍖【CONVENIENTLY PORTABLE】The portable side handles on flat top griddle grill and detachable legs are designed for easy movement.Easy and simple to install, smaller and portable for convenient transportation and storage.
- 🔥🍖【POWERFUL COOKING ABILITY】Equipped with 2 adjustable premium burners with whopping output of 150,000-BTU.You could cook the delicious food at any time and enjoy a nice time.
If you can’t decide whether you want a flat top griddle or a traditional barbecue, the Royal Gourmet Portable Propane Gas Grill and Griddle Combo is the perfect model for you.
The dual cooking surfaces provide you with 584 square inches of cooking area with four different cooking zones. Each zone can independently control the 12,000 BTU stainless steel burners (with a combined total of 48,000 BTUs).
The two side tables provide you with plenty of space to prep your meals, while the tool hooks conveniently hold your grilling accessories.
With all the great features of a grill and a griddle, this model can satisfy any barbecue enthusiast’s needs.
- Easy to assemble. Dual cooking surface with one grate and one flat griddle that can be exchanged for use easily. Both offering a 292 Sq. In. cooking surface for a total of 584 total inches of cooking space.
- 4 stainless steel burners, allow you to set 4 different cooking zones, putout total 48000 BTUS with 12000 BTUS each. With 2 side table for additional working space, Cart with hooks for placing BBQ tools and a bottle opener.
- Transport with ease, easily wheel around your yard or transport from your backyard to the campsite thanks to folding frame of cart and four strength caster wheels.
The restaurant-grade Blackstone 28 Inch Grill Griddle Station is a smaller, portable flat top grill with a 470 square inches of grill surface.
It has 2 stainless steel burners that produce 15,000 BTUs of heat each for a total of 30,000 BTUs of cooking power.
The battery operated push-button ignition on this grill allows you to start cooking quickly and easily, without wasting time waiting for charcoal briquettes to get hot.
What I like best about this model is its portability. Four industrial-strength, caster wheels allow for easy movement from any location, and make it easy to wheel around the backyard or to a campsite.
The Blackstone 28 Inch Grill Griddle Station is a great tabletop grill choice for someone looking for a large, yet easily portable grill.
- RESTAURANT STYLE COOKING - With 470sq inches of flat top grilling, this griddle is perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cook eggs, pancakes, quesadillas, grilled cheese, steak, potatoes, teppanyaki style foods and more. Also enjoy a bottom shelf and two side shelves for food storage and prep
- REPLACE YOUR STANDARD GRILL - Replace your grill or BBQ with a Blackstone griddle and never look back! This grill is simple to use and easy to assemble, so you'll be cooking in no time. Eliminate the hassle of kerosene, charcoal and matches; This grill includes an easy start, battery powered push button ignition. With the simple push of a button your griddle is ready to go! Take the headache away from outdoor cooking and spend more time enjoying the outdoors
- TRANSPORT WITH EASE - Easily wheel around your yard or transport from your backyard to the campsite thanks to the removable griddle top, fold up legs and four industrial strength caster wheels
6. Royal Gourmet GB4000 4 Burner Propane Gas Grill Griddle – Best Flat Top Grill for Outdoor BBQ Parties
If you like to have outdoor barbecue parties, the Royal Gourmet GB4000 4 Burner Propane Gas Grill Griddle is a great space-saving grill that comes with plenty of features you need.
It has an electric igniter and four 13,000 BTU burners that produce a tremendous 52,000 BTUs of cooking power. The 744 square inches of pre-seasoned grill surface provides enough cooking area for a large group or family.
It comes with a grease management system which allows you to enjoy the cooking experience without having to constantly empty the drip tray.
Finally, the GB4000 also comes with two foldable side shelves, a built in towel rack, and a lower storage shelf that helps provide lots of area to prep your food.
With so many great features, and the ability to cook food two ways, the Royal Gourmet GB4000 4 Burner Propane Gas Grill Griddle is a fantastic appliance to have in your backyard party arsenal.
- POWERFUL HEATING SYSTEM: 4 independently controlled stainless-steel tube burners with 13, 000 BTUs each, 52, 000 BTUs cooking power in total
- SPACIOUS COOKING SURFACE: 36. 2" L x 21. 7" W, 784 square inches cooking area in total with enhanced gloss ceramic coated griddle top delivers quick heat-up
- QUICK START-UP: Durable stainless-steel control panel with electronic ignition system that offers a reliable spark at every push
The Cuisinart CGG-888 22-Inch Round Outdoor Flat Top Gas Griddle is a cool small flat top grill with a unique 360 degree cooking surface. The round, cold-rolled steel cooking surface allows grease to naturally funnel to the grease cup for super easy clean up.
It has two independently controlled burners that provide a total of 30,000 BTUs which allows you to separately control hot and cool areas on your grill surface.
It even comes with a handy fold-away side prep table that has an integrated paper towel holder which makes it easy to keep the prep area clean. A vented cover lets you steam, fry, smoke, roast, or keep foods warm.
- HEAT CONTROL: Two independently controlled burners provide a total of 30, 000 BTUs and allow you to control hot and cool zones on your griddle surface.
- GREASE MANAGEMENT: The over-sized 360 degree grease pan naturally funnels grease to the grease cup for easy clean up.
- COOKING VERSATILITY: The stainless steel lid with vent allows you to roast, steam, bake or smoke.
If you’re looking for the best propane griddle for camping or tailgating, the Blackstone 17 Inch Gas Grill is an excellent choice. It’s simple to set up, and compact enough to carry anywhere easily.
It’s a beautifully designed model with 260 square inches of grill surface that provides plenty of space for cooking.
The stainless steel “H” style burners have the ability to get really hot in a short amount of time at a heat level of 12,000 BTUs.
It’s super easy to clean. The non-stick surface helps prevent food from sticking to the grill surface. All you are required to do is wipe the surface with a paper towel and you are ready to go.
It runs off a 1 pound propane bottle, which provides about 2 hours of use, but can be hooked up to a 20 pound propane tank with an optional tank adapter hose.
With its portable design, you can easily take the Blackstone 17 Inch Gas Grill on a camping trip, tailgating, or use it anywhere in your backyard.
- CONVENIENT AND PORTABLE - This portable grill is built with an easy to use electric igniter, uses convenient 1 pound propane bottles for fuel, and has a built in grease catcher. Perfect for camping, tailgating, road trips, hunting and everyday outdoor use
- EASY TO STORE - Simply store the griddle top upside down on top of the griddle body after use to save space; Carry by hand
- NO HASSLE CLEANUP - Blackstone makes cleanup a breeze with this table top gas griddle; Simply wipe it off with a paper towel. No fuss cooking allows you more time to enjoy the outdoors
With 604 square inches of griddle area and 501 square inches of grill surface, the Camp Chef Flat Top Grill is a beautiful monster.
It packs enough space for any large outdoor event like backyard parties, camping, or even business events. It’s estimated that you can produce over 100 dishes an hour with the Camp Chef Flat Top Grill.
It includes two large folding side shelves, two roller wheels and micro adjust griddle levelers which allow it to be easily transported anywhere you want to go.
It’s super easy to clean. The cast iron surface includes a grease management system that collects drippings for easy clean up. It also has a grease tray and catch bucket that allows you to cook for hours without the hassle of cleaning up.
The best part about the Camp Chef Flat Top Grill (besides how big it is) is how versatile it is. This interchangeable flat top griddle has a griddle top that can be easily removed, exposing the flat surface grill feature. No longer do you have to compromise if you want a grill or a griddle, it does both!
Finally, since this product is from Camp Chef, the grilling company known for their high quality grills, you can expect it to last a very long time.
- Includes huge interchangeable flat top griddle 20.5" x 31"
- Griddle surface: 604 sq. in - Grilling surface: 501 sq. in
- Four 12,000 BTU stainless steel burners with Matchless Ignition
10. Presto 22-inch Electric Griddle – Best Electric Flat Top Grill
If you’re looking for an affordable electric flat top grill that can be used anywhere, the Presto 22-inch Electric Griddle is a great choice.
Although it’s a small flat top grill, it’s a great model to have for grilling on a kitchen counter or other space-limited areas. With the handles removed, the base fits nicely in most 18-inch cabinets.
The non-stick cooking surface cleans easily, while the Control Master temperature controls maintain desired cooking temperatures automatically.
This is a highly recommended little flat top griddle.
- Extra-large griddle-great for every meal and entertaining
- Special textured ceramic cooking surface provides enhanced nonstick performance and easier cleaning
- Removable handles for easy cleaning and compact storage
What Is The Best Flat Top Grill for You?
Out of all the flat top grill reviews we’ve covered here, how do you decide which is the best outdoor flat top grill for you?
That’s easy: Choose the model you can see yourself using the most.
Consider your preferred barbecuing style:
- Do you like to grill food but want more options? A grill and griddle combo may be the best choice for you.
- Do you like to travel a lot and want to bring your griddle with you? A portable flat top grill may be the right call.
If you’re investing hundreds of dollars on a new flat top grill, you want to be sure it gets LOTS of usage. So pick one with the options you really need, even if it costs a little more.
If you’re having trouble deciding, go with the best overall choice: The Blackstone 36 Flat Top Gas Grill. With the features you get for the price of this model, you can hardly go wrong.
10 Best Gas Grills Under $500 for 2020
A good gas grill doesn't have to be expensive. Check out the 10 Best Gas Grills under $500 that will fulfill your grilling goals without breaking the bank.
The Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer
They call it an oil-less fryer, but the Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer is basically an infrared grill designed for turkeys and large roasts.
Grill Great with GrillGrates
GrillGrates are a raised rail cooking surface that get super hot for excellent grill marks. The raised rails created additional heat through convention.
Grilling the Perfect Burger
Grilling a burger may sound easy, but how many times have you had to choke down a dry, tasteless burger? Learn how to grill the perfect burger.
Texas Six Shooter Grill
This Six Shooter Grill is a 6 foot-11 custom barbecue pit. The barrel is 10 feet long and 8 inches in diameter, and the entire rig is over 15 feet long.
Budweiser Barbecue Sauces
The Budweiser barbecue sauces are available online, in major grocery stores in addition to restaurants nationwide. Here’s the flavors they’ve created.