Smoker accessories help you fine-tune your smoking process, keep you safe, and ensure that you churn out the best darn brisket on the block.
For this article, I opened up my own smoker kit and selected only the most essential smoker accessories. Regardless of your needs, you’re only going to find what you need here.
The Best Smoker Accessories for 2021
Here is my list of the best smoker accessory options for 2021. I’ll start with the five best choices in terms of value, convenience, design, and cost.
Click on the name to read reviews and check prices or skip ahead to read the entire list by clicking here.
Best Smoker Accessories Reviews
Here are the complete reviews of the 22 best smoker accessories in 2021. Keep reading after the reviews for a guide on what to look for when choosing a smoker accessory.
After losing one too many of my favorite shirts to grease splatters and barbecue sauce, I finally bought a Hudson Durable Goods Professional Grade BBQ Chef Apron.
This BBQ chef apron is made from thick 10-ounce cotton, but it’s also breathable. I also like that it is double-stitched, comes with a towel loop, and has four spacious pockets for my smoker accessories.
The MEATER Plus Wireless Smoker Thermometer is another essential smoker accessory.
This unit allows you to monitor your cooking progress from up to 165’ away using your favorite mobile device. Just insert your meat probe and pull up the MEATER app. From here, you can set timers, monitor temperatures, and customize settings.
It’s also worth mentioning that this wireless smoker thermometer is rechargeable and dishwasher safe.
- ► 165ft Long Range Model: 100% WIRE-FREE that's perfect for outdoor cooking. The first truly wireless smart meat...
- ► 2 Sensors, 1 Probe: Dual temperature sensors can monitor internal meat temperature up to 212°F and ambient / external...
- ► Guided Cook System: Walks you through every step of the cooking process to guarantee perfect and consistent results. You...
If you’re not familiar with Aaron Franklin, he’s the owner of Austin’s Franklin Barbecue, author of Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto Cookbook, and beloved by the late Anthony Bourdain.
I could give this man a lengthier introduction – or just tell you to buy his fantastic smoked meat cookbook.
This book packs a complete meat and brisket-cooking education into 234 pages. There is a lot to learn here, even if you’re a smoked meat veteran.
- Franklin Barbecue A Meat Smoking Manifesto
- Hardcover Book
- Franklin, Aaron (Author)
I consider my hands to be one of the most valuable smoker accessories in my kit, so I protect them with the RAPICCA Extra-Long Leather Grilling Gloves.
These 16” gloves protect all the way up to my forearms. Plus they’re made with double-reinforced Kevlar padding on the fingers, palms, and glove backs.
This kind of protection is unrivaled. Thanks to these grilling gloves, I can safely reach across the grates, handle kabobs, even lift burning logs!
- 【REINFORCED DOUBLE LAYER KEVLAER PADDING ON FINGER,PALM,ELBOW & BACK】:RAPICCA is the only brand which offer Double...
- 【EXTREME FOUR LAYER HEAT RESISTANT PROTECTION】 Outermost layer: Double layer kevlar padding leather. Intermediate layer:...
- 【SUPERIOR SECURITY FOR FORERAMS】 - The 16 inches extra long glove with 7.5 inches long sleeve protect your forearms from...
The Grill Wizard Grill Brush is one of my favorite grill grate brushes.
This 18” wire brush gives me plenty of reach, a handle that won’t melt or break, and 360-degrees of scraping power.
The grill brush head is packed with three stainless steel brush rows, allowing you to destroy buildup on the grill grates with minimal effort.
- 【Powerful scraper for stubborn residual】- Ever sick of putting way too much effort to deal with just a little stubborn...
- 【Effortless cleaning】- thick and density bristles quickly remove every bit of leftover on the top, edges and corners of...
- 【Ergonomic 18inch long handle, get you a safe distance & a comfortable grip】– 18” length, keeps your hands away from...
These meat shredding claws are made from heat-resistant, BPA-free nylon. So they’re tough, dishwasher safe, and incredibly affordable. What’s not to love?
The Cuisinart Deluxe 20-Piece Grill Tool Set is one of my favorite smoker accessories.
This grill tool set comes with all the tools you’ll ever need: a chef’s spatula, tongs, a digital meat thermometer, a basting brush, corn holders, skewers, and a grill brush with an additional head.
I also like that each piece packs away into a sturdy aluminum carrying case. This keeps my smoker accessories organized at home and on the road.
- TWENTY ESSENTIAL TOOLS FOR GRILLING: Chef’s spatula, grill tongs, digital temperature fork, silicone basting brush, four...
- SPATULA & TONGS: The perforated spatula with serrated edge for cutting and built in bottle opener, makes it easy to flip,...
- DIGITAL TEMP FORK: The digital temperature fork comes with recommended preset temperature and has a built-in alarm, ensuring...
Love charcoal flavor, but tired of messing with matches, newspaper, and caustic lighter fluid? Light up your charcoal grill with the Looft Lighter Electric Charcoal Starter.
This electric charcoal fire starter gets fires going in as little as 60 seconds. It uses electricity to churn out 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit of heat, comes with a 10’ cord, and doesn’t cost a fortune.
You spent 10 hours smoking that beautiful slab of brisket, so why would you hack into it with any old kitchen knife when you could reach for the Mercer Culinary 11-Inch Granton Edge Slicer Knife?
This 11” knife is one of my favorite grilling tools. It’s well-balanced, comfortable in hand, and affordable. The blade is made from a single piece of Japanese steel, so it holds its edge longer than a stainless steel knife.
Plus, this brisket slicing knife features a scalloped blade to reduce friction and sticking. I also like the sturdy, textured handle, which reduces slippage and improves leverage.
- Ergonomic handle – a combination of Santoprene for comfort and polypropylene for durability
- Textured finger points provide slip resistance, grip, and safety. Protective finger guard.
- Hand wash knives for blade edge and surface care
Killer Hogs BBQ Rub was perfected in the best BBQ competitions in the country and has been around for more than a decade.
This rub is made from a blend of brown sugar, paprika, garlic, orange peel, and salt. And it’s delicious on brisket, steaks, chicken, ham, even vegetables.
The flavor is rich, tangy, and sweet with just the right amount of kick. When I’m smoking meat, this is my go-to rub.
- CHAMPIONSHIP BBQ RUB - The BBQ rub was developed and is used by the Killer Hogs Championship BBQ team
- HIGHEST RATED RUB - We've been making this rub for over 10 years, shipping tens of thousands across the United States, and...
- DESIGNED FOR CONSISTENT RESULTS - We developed this rub so you don't have to worry about seasoning your meat or veggies. The...
If you’re tired of watching your veggies, sausage links, and precious seafood disappear through the grill grate, check out the Grillaholics Heavy Duty Grill Basket.
This stainless steel grill basket is made with triple-reinforced welds, so it takes the heat without warping.
To use it, just load up your grill basket and toss it on the grates. The perfectly sized holes allow flames to kiss your food without devouring it.
- [Relax to the Sound of Your Food Sizzling] Nothing says a good day, like grilling with a beer in your hand, tunes playing,...
- [Experience the Weekend Any Day of the Week] Our BBQ tools are designed to make grilling easier so you can fire up your grill...
- [Only for the Tru Grillaholics] Let’s be honest…everything tastes better on the grill. A true Grillaholic knows that that...
The Lavatools Javelin Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer is an all-in-one, Swiss-Army knife-style meat thermometer.
To use it, unfold the meat thermometer probe like you would a pocket knife blade and insert it into your meat.
Temperatures display on the meat thermometer handle in less than three seconds. And the readings are within +/-.09 degrees Fahrenheit of accuracy. A bonus: this instant-read unit lasts for 4,000 hours on a single charge.
- 1-3 second ultra-fast response time with an accuracy better than ±0.9°F.
- Large 2" auto-rotating ambidextrous backlit display and IP65 splash-proof construction.
- Intelligent stabilization alert and read-out hold function with integrated magnet for convenient storage.
There are many wood chip brands on the market, but after years of experimenting, I’ve determined that not all wood smoking chips are created equal.
Traeger Hickory Wood Pellets are my go-to brand. Traeger hickory wood chips are made with just the right amount of moisture, so they give a clean, dependable burn. And the flavor profile is rich but not overpowering.
I’ve used these wood pellets to smoke everything from brisket and pork to blueberry pie and poultry.
- HICKORY WOOD FIRED FLAVOR: Traeger Hickory Hardwood Pellets are great for naturally enhancing beef, chicken, pork, and...
- NOT ALL PELLETS ARE CREATED EQUAL: The best wood-fired grill on the market demands the best wood pellets on the market. Real...
- TRAEGER HAS SPENT YEARS DEVELOPING THE PERFECT PELLET: Our hardwood's unique compact cell structure results in a balanced,...
The Weber Rapidfire Charcoal Chimney Starter is a convenient way to get your charcoal fire going quickly – and without caustic lighter fluid.
To use, just tuck a few sheets of wadded newspaper at the bottom of the charcoal chimney fire starter. Next, load up the basket with your favorite charcoal, light it, and wait a few minutes. Your coals will be white-hot in minutes.
This chimney fire starter is 13” X 7.5”, so it holds plenty of fuel. It’s also sturdy and extremely affordable.
- Designed to quickly produce hot coals for cooking
- 7.5 in. In diameter, 13 in. High
- Specialized cone-shaped grate
The PolyScience Breville Gun Pro Smoke Infuser is one of my favorite grilling accessories – but it’s not just for grilling.
This handheld tool allows you to add smoke flavor to vegetables, pastries, even cocktails.
This unit runs on batteries, so all you need to do is select your favorite wood chips or spice blend, hit the power button, and watch it produce cold, flavored smoke.
- The smoking gun handheld Pro food smoker for adding natural smoke flavor and aroma to meat, fish, vegetables, desserts,...
- Includes smoke gun, nozzle extender hose, batteries, replacement smoke screens, Instructions, and sample wood chips...
- Cold smoker for professional or home chefs and mixologists; easy-turn dial customizes airflow and smoke intensity (from 5.3...
Seasoning and marinating are essential to smoking. The trouble is that rubs and marinades only flavor the outer layer of meat. That’s why the Traeger Grills BBQ Grill Meat Injector Kit is one of my favorite grilling accessories.
This meat injector allows you to inject flavor deep into the tissue of your food, which keeps the meat moist and juicy from the inside out.
If you’ve never used one of these BBQ accessories, the Traeger Grills BBQ Grill Meat Injector Kit is a great unit to start with. It’s affordable, made of top-to-bottom stainless steel, and has a large-capacity barrel.
- Maximize Cooking Flavor: Inject spices, broth, or brines into your meat for maximum moistness and flavor
- The 3-inch injector needle is specifically designed for meat
- Made from professional-quality stainless steel
Mastering the smoker takes practice. And, in my experience, documenting your progress is one of the best ways to improve.
I use the BBQ Pitmaster Log Book Journal to track spice blends, recipes, cook times, and final results.
What I like about this journal is that it’s sleek yet tough. The “stone paper” is tear-resistant and won’t bleed when you handle the pages with grease and sauce-covered hands.
- Greaseproof / Sweatproof / Bloodproof Stone Paper Body
- Hardcore Carnivore (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
The OXO Good Grips 16-Inch Locking Tongs are another one of my favorite BBQ accessories.
These tongs provide a 16” reach, perfect for reaching across a piping hot gas grill. The tongs are made of stainless steel and have scalloped edges, so they’re durable and provide jaw-locking grip.
I also like that these grill tongs lock for easy storage.
- Ideal for grilling and turning large cuts of meat
- Versatile for cooking, tossing and transferring food
- Tongs lock closed for convenient storage
The Bradley Smoker Carving Kit comes with the essential grilling tools: a butcher knife, a boning knife, a carving fork, a sharpener, and an instant-read thermometer.
What’s cool about this grilling tool kit is that it comes in a magnetized carrying case so that I can store it on the fridge or the side of my grill station. They also make a great grilling gift.
There’s a lot to love about these smoker accessories. I was especially impressed with the boning knife and butcher knife: both are well-balanced, comfortable in hand, and retain their edge well.
- Includes butcher knife, boning knife, carving fork, 2-stage sharpener and digital thermometer
- Magnets on either side of the case let you hang the kit on the side of a smoker, or any metal surface
- Made in China
The Sonder End Grain Walnut Cutting Board is truly a showpiece cutting board made of thick walnut. It’s a beautiful slab of wood, but it’s also deceivingly tough.
When you cut, the knife goes between the wood fibers rather than through them. This preserves your knife edge and keeps your board looking new.
I’ve used this cutting board to serve charcuterie and other sides, but I’ve also abused it plenty – and it still looks great.
- END GRAIN DURABILITY – Alfred is an end grain constructed board. This construction type is known to be extremely durable,...
- DEEP JUICE GROOVE – No more messy countertops from liquids running off your board. Our juice groove holds up to 3.5 oz of...
- VERSATILE SORTING COMPARTMENTS – No need to off-load your diced onions, garlic, etc. onto extra dishes. Simplify meal prep...
Smoking requires precision, so I like to double up on my thermometers—one for meat, another to capture ambient temperature under the hood.
The Tel-Tru BQ300 Barbecue Thermometer is my go-to built-in lid thermometer. It’s made from tough, heat-resistant metal and has a large face. So it’s easy to read from a distance.
Installation is also a breeze, especially if you purchase Tel-Tru’s easy installation kit.
- 1/2" NPT (install into 7/8" drill hole)
- Made in USA
- Stock item, ships in one business day
Bamboo kabob skewers char, snap, and are only good for one use. And the funny thing is that a bundle of disposable kabob skewers isn’t much cheaper than Blue Donuts 24-Pack Kabob Skewers. So I made the switch.
These 12” stainless skewers are not only reusable, they’re designed to lay flat for even cooking. I also like that they have a ring top handle, which holds skewered food in place and gives me a handle to move the kabob around the grates.
These kabob skewers are also dishwasher safe, so cleanup is quick and easy. I also like that this unit is backed by a two-year warranty.
- Sharp Flat Tip Skewers - Kabob skewers are designed to be flat in order to keep your food from moving while being grilled....
- Stainless Steel Food Grade Quality - stainless steel skewers for grilling are strong and sturdy, being a reliable grilling...
- Dishwasher Safe Grilling Accessories - being dishwasher safe makes the cleanup processes a breeze compared to other brand...
What are the best smoker accessories for you?
The best smoker accessories for you depend on your budget and preferences, but if I had to narrow down my list to five standout units, here’s what I’d choose.
Smoking is a messy business. You’re handling raw meat, blood, grease, wood, charcoal, rubs, spices, and most destructive of all, barbeque sauce!
Stop sacrificing your wardrobe to the smoking gods and strap into the Hudson Durable Goods Professional Grade BBQ Chef Apron. Seriously, this apron will pay for itself in one use.
This unit is thick yet breathable. It’s also double-stitched and has plenty of storage pockets for your grill accessories.
Smoking requires patience and precision. An instant-read meat thermometer won’t make you more patient, but it will give you the freedom and precision that even experienced smokers cannot achieve on their own.
If you’re looking for a standout wireless meat thermometer, check out the MEATER Plus Wireless Meat Thermometer.
This wireless thermometer allows you to monitor your smoker from up to 165’ away using your favorite mobile device. Use the MEATER app to set timers and track your cooking progress. And when you’re done, drop your probe in the dishwasher.
You can crawl the Web for smoking tutorials and recipes – or you could just snag a copy of Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto Cookbook and learn from the best.
This book is packed with information. Inside, you’ll find out how to build or customize your smoker, find the right wood, tend to your fire, and source the best meat.
Seriously, Aaron Franklin’s book is a must-have for both veteran and newbie smokers.
Shredding smoked brisket by hand is messy, time-consuming, and dangerous, especially if you’re using the wrong tools. But this all changes when you have a nice set of meat shredding claws.
Meat claws are explicitly designed for shredding meat. So they don’t slip, break, melt, or bend. Instead, they allow you to work quickly with minimal effort.
A clean smoker is a high-functioning smoker, right? Protect your most important investment with the Grill Wizard Grill Brush.
This is one of my favorite grill brushes. The long, 18” wire brush handle gives me plenty of reach, which is critical when working over a hot grill. Plus, it’s made from rigid, heat-resistant plastic, so it won’t break, melt, or warp.
This is one of the best smoker accessories because it provides 360-degrees of scraping power.
The grill brush head is packed with three stainless steel brush rows, allowing you to destroy buildup on the grill grates with minimal effort.
I hope you found my smoker accessories roundup helpful.
Related content you might like:
- 50 Best Grilling Gifts for BBQ Lovers
- 15 Best BBQ Grilling Aprons for 2021
- 21 Best BBQ Grill Lights for 2021
- 10 Best BBQ Grill Mats for 2021
- The 10 Best BBQ Grill Baskets for 2021
10 Best Dyna-Glo Grill Reviews for 2021
Dyna-Glo grills have a reputation for providing good value with plenty of features. Find the best Dyna-Glo grill options in this review.
Kamado vs Pellet Smoker – Which One Is Better?
If you're trying to choose between a kamado vs pellet smoker, this guide will help you understand the pros and cons of each smoker type.
The 10 Best Fish Smokers for 2021
A fish smoker allows you to preserve your fish and create dishes you couldn't make on a traditional grill. Find the best fish smokers here.
The 21 Best Electric Smokers for 2021
Electric smokers are an affordable, effective, and easy-to-use type of smoker. Find the best electric smoker for any budget in this review.
10 Best Smoker Thermometers for 2021
A wireless smoker thermometer gives you the freedom to roam while making perfect low and slow BBQ. Find the best smoker thermometers here.
15 Best Portable Pellet Grills for 2021
The best portable pellet grill provides delicious smoky flavor on the go. We take a look at 15 top models in 2021 in our buying guide.